This basic shortbread recipe has been used for centuries’ in Scotland.
2 cups (12 oz) of all purpose wheat flour
1/2 cup (3 oz) of rice flour
4 oz of sugar
1/2 lb. of butter (or margarine)
- Empty the wheat flour and rice flour and sugar into a large bowl.
- Add butter and knead the dough by hand.
- Sprinkle flour on a large wooden surface, then gently roll out the dough to a desired thickness.
- Prick the dough all over with a fork, then sprinkle sugar on top.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F, then bake for 30 minutes, until light brown.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle a bit more sugar on top.
Enjoy with a cup of tea !
Goes very well with bagpipe music and a wee bit of Scotch!
Recipe donated by Montreal-Lakeshore Rotarian, Joe Maxwell.