A great breakfast casserole.
8 oz. Swiss cheese, grated
4 oz. smoked salmon, chopped
2 tbsp fresh chives or green onion, chopped
10 large eggs
3 cups of milk
Pinch of nutmeg
Salt and pepper
- Butter a 9” x 13” baking dish or similar sized casserole
Preheat oven to 350 °F
- Slice the croissants in half as if you are making a sandwich, reserving the top halves. Cube the bottom halves and place in a large bowl.
- Mix in the Swiss cheese, smoked salmon and chives. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Add the egg mixture to the croissants, cheese and salmon, then spoon the combined mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Arrange the reserved croissant halves on top of the casserole and press them gently into the egg mixture to make sure they are moistened.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until puffy and golden brown.
You can substitute ham or, if preparing vegetarian, mushrooms.
Serves 6 to 8
Submitted by Nancy Gray, Kingston, Ontario.