A cake that takes only ten minutes to assemble, twenty five minutes to bake and will disappear very quickly once on the table, especially if there are children around.
200 g sugar
50 ml of oil
250 g flour
a pinch of salt
l kg of cherries (or sour cherries), from markets or grocery stores.
- Wash the cherries, pit and drain.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks.
- Beat the egg whites hard, then add sugar and continue to beat hard until you have a dense white foam.
- Gradually mix in the egg yolks, vanilla sugar, salt and lemon peel.
- Blend with mixer at low speed and gradually add the oil and half of the flour. Then blend in the rest of the flour.
- Spread dough in tray lined with baking paper.
- The drained cherries are added to the dough piece by piece. Allow some to sink into the
dough and some to stay at the surface.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 180° C/355° F.
- When it is taken out of the oven sprinkle with caster sugar, vanilla sugar or icing sugar.
Recipe donated by Rotarian Adrian Zbarcea