6 sole fillets
2 cups spinach
½ medium-sized onion
¼ red pepper
1 Tbsp butter
1 heaped Tbsp flour
¾ cup skim or 1% milk
1 egg (optional)
¾ cup grated cheddar or parmesan cheese
- Combine spinach and onion in food processor or chop finely.
- Rinse fillets in cold water and a little vinegar or lime juice.
Season lightly with salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
- Spread spinach mixture onto fillets and roll them or fold them over. Reserve a small amount of the mixture for the cheese sauce.
- To make the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a sauce pan on medium-low heat. Mix in flour to make a roux. Add milk gradually, stirring to ensure a smooth and slightly thickened mixture. (Egg can help thicken the sauce, so if desired, add egg here and mix into the sauce.)
- Season lightly with salt. Stir in grated cheese until melted. Add the remaining spinach mixture.
Optional: minced red pepper or fresh herbs such as basil, parsley, cilantro or oregano can be added at this point.
- Spread a little of the cheese sauce on the bottom of a baking dish. Lay the stuffed fillets on top, then spoon the rest of the sauce over the fillets.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350ºF for 20 minutes. Serve with basmati rice or potatoes.
Recipe from Montreal-Lakeshore Rotarian Emily Scott