My childhood’s favourite cake. And when I was allowed to bake it … I ate most of it myself !
1 cup of whole wheat flour
1/2 cup of bran
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 cup of brown sugar
3/4 cup of oil
1-1/2 cup of grated carrots
1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
1/2 cup of dried cranberries
1/2 to 1 lb of cream cheese
1/4 cup of icing sugar
1 – 2 tablespoons of milk, depending on desired consistency.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
Grease an 8″ spring-form pan or an 8″ baking pan.
Take the cream cheese out of the fridge to soften.
- Sift the whole wheat flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl. Add bran and mix slightly with a fork.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the oil and brown sugar. Add the eggs and mix well. Add the carrots, walnuts and cranberries and mix.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix. Pour into greased pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a cooling rack.
- When the cake is cool, mix the cream cheese and icing sugar. Add milk in small amounts and mix.
- Spoon icing onto the cake. Decorate with cranberries.
A ‘master piece’ of a cake ! Nothing less !
Recipe donated by friend of Montreal-Lakeshore Rotary, Vicki Horsfield